South Petherton Wesleyan Chapel
The non-conformist records prior to 1837 are copyright of the National Archives. Copies are also held on microfilm at the Somerset Record Office which also has the surviving the post 1837 registers (although the copyright is still held by the United Reform Church or Methodist Church). We acknowledge the help of the Somerset Record Office http://www.somerset.gov.uk/archives . The transcriptions are published online by kind permission of the Somerset Record Office, the Methodist Church and the United Reform Church on condition that its use is free from profit.
South Petherton Wesleyan Chapel was founded in 1807. The South Petherton circuit covered parishes in both Somerset and Dorset. The first register starts in 1813 and as well as South Petherton covers other places including Martock, Stoke under Hambdon, Montacute, Seavington, Kingsbury [Episcopi], Ashill, Donyatt, Ilminster, Norton, Ilton, West Chinnock, Barrington, Merriott, Stembridge, Thorney, Shepton Beauchamp, and Crewkerne. The Somerset Record Office in Taunton has the original registers right into the C20th. There is a gap 1838-1842. The current church, the Coke Memorial Methodist Church was built in 1882.
Click here for a revised Wesleyan transcript which now incorporates 1866-1906 (South Petherton entries only)