Wesleyan Chapel

South Petherton Wesleyan Chapel

South Petherton Wesleyan Chapel was founded in 1807.The current church, the Coke Memorial Methodist Church was built in 1882.  The South Petherton circuit covered parishes in both Somerset and Dorset. The first register starts in 1813 and as well as South Petherton covers other places including Martock, Stoke under Hambdon, Montacute, Seavington, Kingsbury [Episcopi], Ashill, Donyatt, Ilminster, Norton, Ilton, West Chinnock, Barrington, Merriott, Stembridge, Thorney, Shepton Beauchamp, and Crewkerne.  The Somerset Heritage Centre in Taunton has the original registers well into the C20th. There is a gap 1838-1842. 

The Wesleyan Baptisms transcript covers 1813 -1906 (South Petherton entries only)

The non-conformist records prior to 1837 are copyright of the National Archives. Copies are also held on microfilm at the Somerset Heritage Centre which also has the surviving the post 1837 registers (although the copyright is still held by the Methodist Church). The transcriptions are published online by kind permission of the Somerset Heritage Centre and the Methodist Church on condition that its use is free from profit.